Tokyo TDC Annual Awards 2023
Entry Guidelines for Overseas Residents
The Tokyo Type Directors Club (Tokyo TDC) was founded in 1987 to pursue the possibilities of visual expression of letters and/or words. We invite entries from all around the world for “Tokyo Type Directors Club Annual Awards 2023” .
This fiscal year again, we are adopting an online method for entry and selection.
Entrants are invited to submit digital data of their works, from which we will select approximately 450 to 500 excellent works for inclusion in our annual book. Then, we will request the excellent works to send their actual works and will decide on the prize nominee works and the prize-winning works based on a viewing of the actual works. The screening will be conducted in these two phases. We will carefully appreciate/assess the submitted artworks.
We are very looking forward to taking a look at all the designs being sent in.
ADeadline for submission
- Deadline for early submission (discounted submission fee): August 10 ー September 10, 2022
- Final deadline for submission: September 11 ー October 5, 2022
① No special qualifications are needed to submit an entry. TDC requires that Applicants must be the Type Director of their works.
② Entries must have been produced between September 2021 and the deadline. (For entries submitted outside the entry period, reasons must be entered in the Entry form. )
③ If a part of the series of works was produced outside the entry period, state that as such. *
④ Entries of course assignments by groups of students will not be accepted. All entries by students must be done individually.
③ Supplementary explanation : Examples of production year in case of a series of works
・A series of books for which one book has been published every year from 2020 was completed in this year.
・Production began in 2020 and was completed in this year.
・The artwork was produced in 2020 and presented in this year.
・The artwork was produced in 2020 and presented in 2022 after making some changes.
1. Small Graphics
Calendar, Record Jacket, Flier, Ticket, Invitation, DM, Catalog, Pamphlet etc.
2. Editorial / Book Design
3. Type Design
4. Mark & Logotype / CorporateStationery / Branding
Mark & Logo / Logotype, their systems, Motion Logo, CI, VI, Corporate stationery, Brand design including logo and entire design for it.（Advertisement in Branding must be submit to category 6）
5. Signage & Display / Packaging
*Make an entry of digital signage in the Signage & Display category if you want us to look at your work as a space.
Newspaper & Magazine Advertisement / Poster A = Advertising Poster / Advertising Campaign / Advertising Motion Poster, etc.
7. Poster B
For poster entries not included in category 6. / Motion Poster
Independently produced posters and experimental posters should be submitted to Poster B category, not to “Experimental Work“.
8. Experimental Work
For entries not included in the other categories.
9. Web site / Application
10. Video (Music video, live video, movie title, film advertising, digital signage, and spatial/background video, etc.)
*Make an entry of digital signage in the Video category if you want us to look at your work as a video.
11. RGB Experimental
For entries not included in the category 9,10.
- Steps from entry to the selection of prize-winning works
① August 10 – September 10, 2022 = Deadline for early submission for all categories
② September 11 – October 5, 2022 = Final deadline for submission for all categories
③ Early November, 2022 = We will select works for inclusion in the Annual Book, with selected entrants then asked to send in the actual works. (Please consult with us if you are unable to send a selected actual work to Tokyo for some reason.)
④ Early December, 2022 = After viewing the actual works, we will select the nominations and the prize-winning works.
EEvaluation and Others
- Prize and Prize Money
Grand Prize : 1 entry / TDC Prize : 6 entries / Type Design Prize : 1 entry / Book Design Prize : 1 entry / RGB Prize : 1 entry (All categories are eligible for this prize) / Special Prize (not subject to prize money) : 0 ~ 2 entries
Entrants of prize winning works will receive their prize money and the diploma at an award ceremony at the TDC exhibition in April 2023.
Grand Prize : JPY200,000 / Other Prizes : JPY100,000
- Prize Nominee Work and Excellent Work
“Prize Nominee Work” means an entry shortlisted for a prize but not selected as a prize winning work.
“Excellent Work” means an entry, other than the above, which is selected to appear in the annual book.
＊ A certification of the result (digital file) will be sent to entrants.
Katsumi Asaba / Kazunari Hattori / Naomi Hirabayashi / Tsuguya Inoue / Shun Ishizuka / Kaoru Kasai / Atsuki Kikuchi / Issay Kitagawa / Akira Kobayashi / Henrik Kubel / Gento Matsumoto / Kiyonori Muroga / Norio Nakamura / Yugo Nakamura / Daijiro Ohara / Mariko Okazaki / Tomohiro Okazaki / Yukimasa Okumura / Shun Sasaki / Taku Satoh / Akiko Sekimoto / Katsuhiko Shibuya / Shin Sobue / Fumio Tachibana / Yui Takada / Ryoji Tanaka / Seri Tanaka / Yoshihisa Tanaka / Yuri Uenishi / John Warwicker
- Special jurors for Type Design
Shigenobu Fujita / Cyrus Highsmith / Akira Kobayashi / Henrik Kubel / Ryoko Nishizuka / Shin Sobue / Osamu Torinoumi / John Warwicker / Wang Wen
- Jurors for categories 9, 10, and 11
Yae Akaiwa, exonemo / Tomoyuki Arima / gnck / Gabin Ito / Atsuki Kikuchi / Gento Matsumoto / Yoriko Mizushiri / Yugo Nakamura / Ryoji Tanaka
* Jurors will not vote for their own entries or those submitted by students they instructed directly.
* Entrant names will not be disclosed during the selection process to judges.
- Announcement of both prize winning works and prize nominee work
Announcement of both prize winning works and prize nominee works will be made around the middle of January 2023 at this site.
- Notification to Entrants
Notification of prize winning work, prize nominee work and excellent work will be sent by the mid-January 2023 along with a request for the provision of credited manuscripts.
Notification of rejection will be sent by email at the end of January 2023.
Prize winning and prize nominee works will be exhibited at TDC exhibition. Excellent works that earn high marks will be also exhibited. TDC exhibition will be held in April 2023 at the ginza graphic gallery in Tokyo. We will hold an awards ceremony and the Design Forum ‘TDC DAY.’
＊Showings at other exhibitions not specified here are considered to be approved by entrants without permission.
- Annual Book
The international edition of Tokyo TDC, Vol.34 -The Best in International Typography & Design will be published in the end of 2023.
＊No complimentary copies of the annual book will be provided.
HSteps for Entry
- ① Registering the entry
Register the entrant’s name and personal information, with an outline of the submission (category, title, Short Explanation, production / created date of the work, data to be submitted, Categories 6, 7 and 8 are based on the size of the works and attach the text data of the catch and body copy on the poster.).
*Please provide text data of the main text information (copy, message) in your poster. We will translate it and use it to help the jury understand the content.
*Please do not describe the applicant’s name or company in the short explanation of the work.
* If you submit multiple entries, number them as 1, 2, 3, etc., as the “Entry No”.
* For those who are unable to use the Google Form, please please download this PDF and email an entry registration.
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject : TOKYO TDC 2023 Entry Registration
- ② Get the Entry ID
When entry registration is completed, TDC will issue one Entry ID to one entrant (within one day). We will send your Entry ID to you via email.
Other info: If you redo the entry registration, please use the same entry ID that you received.
- ③ Upload the digital image of the work
1) Prepare the data. Please refer to here.
Name the folder in which you put your data, as follows:
“Category No_your Entry ID_Entry No”
2) Put all the submitted works in one folder and ZIP them.
3) Log into your Google account.
* If you do not have a Google account, please sign up for a Google account.
* If you cannot sign up, upload data to an available data transmission service or your server and inform the secretariat via email of the URL from which the data can be downloaded.
E-mail : email@example.com
Subject : TOKYO TDC 2023 Works Data “(your) Entry ID”
4) After logging in, enter your Entry ID.
▶︎ TOKYO TDC 2023 Works Data
The Entry ID and email address used for registration are required.
Click “Add a file,” put all the entries in one folder, ZIP them, and then upload them.
* We cannot replace or delete the submitted image data. We appreciate your understanding and appreciate your careful submission.
* The term “file” here refers to singular JPEG, PDF, etc., (i.e., a “file” as the smallest unit of stored collected data); meaning, the term does not refer to a folder containing multiple files or to a compressed ZIP folder.
IEntry format / Q & A
* “Explanatory material” refers to a video within one minute in length that can be additionally attached in order to show the print texture or to promote the understanding of a book, etc. (around 50 MB limit). Submission is optional, and no additional entry fee is required. (An additional fee will be required if the video is more than one minute in length.)
- Q & A
- Q. Supposedly my work was selected as an Excellent Work, but what if I am unable to send the actual work to Tokyo for any reasons. What will happen then?
A. We will not withdraw your work. If the actual work cannot be ready for the December’s final judgement, we will display the printed data from your application as an alternative.
- Q. Regarding JPEG files, are there any limitations on content amount?
A. We do not set any limitations on content amount for JPEG files (such as only one poster or only one package per JPEG file), but it would be hard to appreciate the work if a JPEG file was excessive in content. Although we do not limit these aspects, please see the example image as mentioned above as a guideline for reference. Because we select works via a monitor, it is desirable if the digital data (excluding posters) is in the horizontal position.
- Q. Can one work be submitted by multiple persons?
A. Yes, it can. Please enter the entrant names as the entrant name (Type Director). However, enter a group name, etc., if four or more persons jointly submit one work.
- Q. What should I do if I want to submit 10 or more JPEG images for one entry?
A. If you submit more than 10 images, please add USD 30 (Deadline for early submission), USD 50 (Final deadline for submission)to your entry fee for each block of one to five images over 10 images. (For example, if you submit 14 images [i.e., in the block from 11 images to 15], the entry fee would be USD 150; while, therefore, for 21 images the fee would be USD 250, and so forth.)
- It’s not possible to limit my explanatory material (for videos) to within 1 minute. What should I do?
A. If you cannot limit your explanatory material (for video) to within 1 minute, we will see the explanatory material as part of the work itself. Please add a video entry fee (within three minutes: USD 20; longer than three minutes: USD 50) to your main entry fee.
- Q. I want to make more than 10 entries, but the number of columns in the entry registration format (in Google Forms) is insufficient.
A. If the total number of entries is more than 10, please make multiple entry registrations and indicate “2nd registration” or “3rd registration” in the remarks space.
- Q. Can I submit a work that I have submitted to another competition?
A. Yes, you can.
1）The entrant name must be the name of the work’s type director. This will also be the name used when awarding prizes. The name of the entrant (award winner) cannot be added or changed after the award-winning works, etc., are selected, so please make sure that the correct name is used when submitting your work.
2) The Tokyo TDC Annual Awards is designed to pursue the possibility of visual expression of letters/characters. It does not exist to attack any individual or certain group. We will refuse to accept the following types of entries.
• Entries that defame a specific individual(s), group(s), etc.
• Entries designed for political or religious activities
• Entries that infringe or may possibly infringe on a third party’s intellectual property rights (copyrights, trademark rights, portrait rights, etc.) and entries that the Tokyo TDC judges as inappropriate (entries that are offensive to public order and morals, for example); the Tokyo TDC may cancel an award or nomination if it finds an entry applicable to these stipulations.
＊If the suspicion of the infringement of a third party’s rights arises after the entry is included in the annual book, the entrant shall be responsible for handling the problem with the third party, and the Tokyo TDC will not take any responsibility.＊Fictitious designs using the name of an existing company or exhibition graphics using the name of an actual artist without permission will not be accepted.
3) Entrants grant TDC the right to reproduce the images of entries for promotional purposes, advance to having their works exhibited at other exhibitions besides those mentioned in the submission requirements and advance to having their works published in the TDC Annual Book digital archives.
4) The layout of the annual book and Exhibition is done in accordance with the editing format and policy of the TDC annual book and Exhibition. We will not accommodate special requests from entrants.Due to technical and organizational constraints, TDC reserves the right to determine the trimming and cutout of the images requested by the annual book’ s designer without permission from the applicants. TDC will photograph the entry works if need be.
KEntry fee and Paying entry fees
- Entry fee
*The entry fee should be calculated for each entry.
- Submission fee for works submitted by the early submission deadline (23:59 Japan time on September 10, 2022)
– JPEG : 1~2 images 30 USD (student 20 USD) / 3~10 images 70 USD (student 50 USD) < Category 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
– PDF：Series Entry 70 USD (student 50 USD) < Category 3
– Motion Logo (additional fee)：20 USD < Category 4
– Variable fonts (additional fee)：20 USD < Category 3
– Web site・Application：Single 30 USD (student 20 USD) < Category 9
– MOV / MP4：Within 3 minutes 30 USD (student 20 USD) / 3 minutes or more 70 USD (student 50 USD) < Category 10, 11
•Adding additional JPEG and PDF images for Series Entry = 30 USD for every 5 images
•If the Explanatory Material’s movie is longer than 1 minute : under 3 minutes = additional 30 USD / over 3 minutes = additional 70 USD
- Submission fee for works submitted by the final deadline (September 11 – October 5, 2022)
– JPEG : 1~2 images 50 USD (student 30 USD) / 3~10 images 100 USD (student 70 USD) < Category 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
– PDF：Series Entry 100 USD (student 70 USD) < Category 3
– Motion Logo (additional fee)：20 USD < Category 4
– Variable fonts (additional fee)：20 USD < Category 3
– Web site・Application：Single 50 USD (student 30 USD) < Category 9
– MOV / MP4：Within 3 minutes 50 USD (student 30 USD) / 3 minutes or more 100 USD (student 70 USD) < Category 10, 11
•Adding additional JPEG and PDF images for Series Entry = 50 USD for every 5 images
•If the Explanatory Material’s movie is longer than 1 minute : under 3 minutes = additional 50 USD / over 3 minutes = additional 100 USD
•Entry fee calculation examples are provided herein.
- Paying entry fees
Calculate the entry fee and pay under the entrant’s name. Enter the entry ID in Add a note.
Entries fees will be collected via PayPal.
Please access the URL below.
1) Enter the sum of entry fees.
2) Login to your PayPal account.
3) Make payment via credit card.
• Deadline for the payment of entry fees:
Deadline for early submission = By September 11, 2022.
Final deadline for submission = By October 6, 2022.
• If you require a receipt:
You can request a receipt by sending us a mail with the entrant’s name, the receipt addressee, and the amount paid. We will send a return mail with the receipt attached.
Contact address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject : TOKYO TDC 2023 receipt request